Magnetron and a plasma flame at 200% power - 1400W, 100Hz
I tried to improve the power of the plasma flame by increasing the mean power of magnetron by 2.
I connected 2 MOTs into the power supply (in the table of MOTs
Moty are 9 and 15) and two capacitors 1uF/2100V ~. I had to use four diodes from the microwave oven
(two is not enough, because it is necessary to combine the power of both MOTs). Ripple of magnetron power is not typical 50Hz
but 100Hz. It is also apparent in the sound that is heard in the video below. The power output of magnetron in a microwave oven
originally was 700W and 1000W input power, but now it is 1400W output and 2000W of input power.
The magnetron couldn't work long term at 200% power, but for dozens of seconds, it does not matter.
Magnetron is still functional, it just has little charred waveguide tip:).
Microwaves can cause severe burns, permanent blindness or death. Voltage of MOT 2100V 50Hz is also deadly.
For people with electronic implants and supporting devices (pacemakers, insulin pump ...) can even
a very weak radiation mean death. Capacitors can stay charged to deadly voltage even after turning off.
Microwaves can destroy the electronics and storage media in the area. Unshielded magnetron
cause electromagnetic interference, which is illegal.
This page doesn't serve as a guide! it is just a curiosity, not intended for reproduction. Therefore there
I won't describe the principles of safety. In any case, never try to reproduce this experiment!
If you decide despite warnings to attempt this, I do not take any responsibility of your injury or damage.
Magnetron connected in the circuit with two MOTs, ripple 100Hz, 1400W output power, 200%.
Photo of the setup with two MOTs
Video of magnetron running at 200% power :). Output 1400W, input 2000W. Plasma flame buzzing at 100Hz.